City Hall and Opera House
City Hall was constructed between the years of 1912 – 1913 and the grand opening was on November 5th, 1913. City Hall is one of the most attractive buildings of the early nineteenth century because of the classical styling and imposing central dome.
In the year 1908, Melville had become the main railroad center for the Grand Trunk Railway (now CN). Charles Melville Hayes wanted to have an impressive administrative building to show the importance of the town. Over the years City Hall has been used for many different things like a municipal, social and judicial center until 1969.
In 2001, it became the property of Saskatchewan Heritage and it can’t be changed without the approval of the Saskatchewan Heritage.